San Antonio International Airport, along with contractor THC Inc., has reached a major milestone with the completion of the 1,000th home under the airport's FAA-supported Residential Acoustical Treatment Program (RATP). Launched in 2006, the program provides acoustical improvements to eligible homes near the airport.
The treatment includes a variety of noise-mitigating measures, including window and door installations, as well as added insulation. The result is a drop in noise level of at least 5 decibels, comparable to doubling the distance of the aircraft flying overhead.
FAA provides 80 percent of the necessary funding, while the remaining 20 percent is provided through the use of airport-generated funds.